Thursday, December 07, 2006

A Day Which Will Live in Infamy-December 7, 1941


Fight_McClelland Barclay

Duty, honor, courage and love of country, the men and women of America went to war to avenge the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor by the forces of Imperial Japan. In the end Japan lost the war and the brave men and women that fought this war will always be known as the "Greatest Generation".

A Sailor's Prayer

Lord, as I stand on the rolling deck
To view the restless sea
With its wide expanse of darkened sky,
You seem so far from me.

Intrepid youth should feel no fear,
But I have a load of care
For the safety of our ship and men.
Lord, hear my earnest prayer:

That I be true to every task;
May no fault lie with me.
Whatever danger may arise,
As we sail the raging sea.

May I be calm and know that You
Can still the wind and wave,
And be assured in perfect trust
That You have the power to save.

When the moon sheds beams from a starlit sky,
I feel near to You again,
For the same moon shines on my loved ones, too,
And I thank You, Lord......Amen.

This poem was sent to Mark Bradley by his Father who was concerned about the safety of his only son.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. And a fitting tribute to today.

Thanks.

J_G said...

Thank you Mrs. Green. I feel strongly about the accomplishments of my parent's generation. My Father never talked much about the war except for everyone's determination to win. I guess that's where it comes from with me.

I was taught by my Father since I was small child to always remember Pearl Harbor Day, that event had quite the effect on both of my parents apparently.

I have my own seared memories and strong feelings about my own service in the Navy as you might be able to tell from the comments I've made over at Marie's about the middle east.

Marie's Two Cents said...

I LOVE that picture and that poem fit's so well.

God bless all the Soldiers!!

J_G said...

Yep Marie, God Bless them all but I have a special place in my heart for sailors
My Dad

Marie's Two Cents said...

Well by Soldiers I meant all of them Sailors included. I forget you Naval people have your own thing going on lol.

I'll rephrase, God bless ALL who have served and continue to serve.

Your Dad was a very handsome man.

SusieQ said...

I was 18 months old when Pearl Harbor was attacked. My uncle fought in WWII. He was in the Pacific. After he served, he spent time in a hospital due to the psychological damage the experience had done to him. He and my aunt could not sleep together for years, because he would wake in the night, think she was a Jap and attack her. She had to be careful about waking him up in the morning, too, so that he could go to work.

J_G said...

Susie, My Grandmother told me about her one brother that went through the same type of thing but it was from World War I and it was from the constant shelling of German artillary, hence the name "shell shocked". War is a horrible ordeal for the soldiers and sailors that must fight but if they didn't fight for us we would all be living in somewhat different conditons with an entirely different type of government. I believe it is called "the cost of freedom" unfortunately. Das Vadanya !

J_G said...

Marie, I'm sure my Father would be rather embarrassed by your very nice compliment because he was a very modest person as was my Mother. For the most part they were prime examples of their generation though. They just went about doing what needed to be done and didn't make a big deal of it.

It took many years to get my Father to talk about what he did in the war because he just felt it wasn't neccessary to talk about it. I told him he needed to tell me about it so I could add his stories to the family history I was making. Dad was no big hero or anything like that, just a guy doing his part for his country.