Monday, December 18, 2006

During the Holidays




Last Friday, December 15th marked the beginning of the celebration Hanukkah. It is also referred to as the “Festival of Lights”. I learned all about Jewish holidays and traditions when I was just a child in grade school. One of my first friends outside of my family was Jewish and I quickly realized that they do not do the same things as my family did around the Holidays but since I was so young and my parents were good people I was able to learn many of the things that my Jewish friends did differently.

Fast forward to adult life and time spent in the military. I saw the hate that was displayed for people of Jewish faith up close and personal at some of the slave labor camps that were used during World War II when I visited Germany in the 1970’s. Later I saw the hate live when my travels took me to the Mediterranean and the Middle East.

I don’t like to bring these things up when my friends are celebrating one of the most joyous of holidays but recent events have forced me to say something in support of my friends and to condemn the actions of those that espouse and attempt to spread their hate.

Last week, just before the beginning of Hanukkah a convention was held in Tehran, Iran sponsored by a man that is known for his hate of people of the Jewish faith. President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran held a conference to express a denial that the Holocaust happened in Europe during World War II. President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad invited special guests that are also known haters and deniers of the Holocaust such as David Duke the former head of the KKK and a former Louisiana State Senator. Former president (choke) Jimmy Carter was invited even though he declined the invitation. Mr. Carter has become a very vocal critic of Israel and that can be OK, no person, country or leader should be above criticism but Mr. Carter has the idea that Israel must bend to the point of making its borders indefensible which is just wrong.

There’s no more talking about defending the people of the Jewish faith it just has to be done so that another holocaust cannot happen. I have said and I will continue to say “if the Muslims will lay down their arms and talk peace there will be peace” I also believe that if Israel lays down her arms Israel and her people will be exterminated by the likes of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, David Duke with people like Jimmy Carter turning away so that he can say he did not see it happening. That is exactly how the perpetrators were able to make the holocaust happen Mr. Carter!


Shalom uv'racha leYisrael

The Divine Image

To Mercy, Pity, Peace, and Love
All pray in their distress;
And to these virtues of delight
Return their thankfulness

For Mercy, Pity, Peace, and Love
Is God, our father dear,
And Mercy, Pity, Peace, and Love
Is Man, his child and care.

For Mercy has a human heart,
Pity a human face,
And Love, the human form divine,
And Peace, the human dress.

Then every man, of every clime,
That prays in his distress,
Prays to the human form divine,
Love, Mercy, Pity, Peace.

And all must love the human form,
In heathen, Turk, or Jew;
Where Mercy, Love, and Pity dwell
There God is dwelling too.

William Blake

2 comments:

mariestwocents said...

We must torment all those who are evil before evil torment's us!!

Great post by the way, Love the picture.

Dont enable comment moderation over that old fool. He isnt worth the pain you are putting us all through lol.

SusieQ said...

Israel and the Jewish people have a special place in my heart. Somehow I feel like I am part of them. The Diary of Anne Frank, which I read when I was a teenager, had a tremendous impact on me as did the documentaries of what happened to the Jewish people in the concentration camps of the WWII era. We must never let that sort of thing happen again to any people including us.

We need to be especially vigilant today and proactive. I recommend to everyone the documentary Obsession. You can learn more about it at the Obsession website:
www.obsessionthemovie.com

Good post, JG.