Saturday, December 09, 2006

Icon and Inspiration


Jeane Kirkpatrick

Yesterday, December 8th 2006 Americans lost a true icon of strength and an inspiration for freedom and democracy. Jeane Kirkpatrick, former United States Ambassador to the United Nations during the Presidency of Ronald Reagan died at the age of eighty.

Jeane Kirkpatrick was the first Democrat to attain a Cabinet rank position in the Reagan Administration when the president elect named her on December 22, 1980, to be the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, the first woman to hold that position. The
professor turned diplomat promised to resign if she could not in good conscience represent the policies of the administration, but Jeane Kirkpatrick quickly became one of Ronald Reagan’s most loyal and effective spokesmen in the U.N. and around the world.

A story that was told by her husband; “He and his wife, who was U.N. ambassador at the time, were strolling around Manhattan when a truck pulled up besides them. The driver, whom they never seen before, looked at Jeane, smiled, stuck out his head and cheered, 'Give 'em hell, Jeane!’ I remember that Jeane Kirkpatrick well.

I was just returning home from an overseas deployment with the US Navy and President Reagan named Mrs. Kirkpatrick as the ambassador to the United Nations and I thought to myself” I hope this is better than what we’ve been doing because there is no respect for us in United Nations or the rest of the world with this person we have called “President” for the last four years” (referring to Jimmy Carter and his useless administration). The American Embassy hostages in Iran were still being held and there was new hope that Mr. Reagan was not going to sit idly by wringing his hands and hoping the Iranians would be nicer to us and just let our people go.

I remember Jeane Kirkpatrick at the United Nations telling the Soviets that shooting down the Korean Airlines jet was an act of aggression and that the only people in the world that did not know about this atrocity was the Soviet citizens because their government keeps them in the dark about what they are doing.

Yes, I remember Jeane Kirkpatrick as being a stalwart voice of strength and common sense that I admired so much. I have tried hard to carry on in my own way the things that Mrs. Kirkpatrick represented because I truly believe in those same ideals. Right now we are going to need another Jeane Kirkpatrick that can stand up to a weak and questionable Congress and a determined enemy that controls a large block in the United Nations. We will miss your strength and wisdom Jeane Kirkpatrick.


A Farewell

Flow down, cold rivulet, to the sea,
Thy tribute wave deliver:
No more by thee my steps shall be,
For ever and for ever.

Flow, softly flow, by lawn and lea,
A rivulet then a river:
Nowhere by thee my steps shall be
For ever and for ever.

But here will sigh thine alder tree
And here thine aspen shiver;
And here by thee will hum the bee,
For ever and for ever.

A thousand suns will stream on thee,
A thousand moons will quiver;
But not by thee my steps shall be,
For ever and for ever.

Alfred Lord Tennyson

8 comments:

Marie's Two Cents said...

She was a lightbulb in the dismall halls of the UN.

She will truly be missed.

You think she and Reagan are sitting up there together eating Jelly Beans? lol

Godspeed Jean!

Anonymous said...


Ah..

The good ol' days.

SusieQ said...

Jeane Kirkpatrick is one of my heroes. I will always remember how she would hold her glasses like a prop while she searched her mind for just the right words to convey her thoughts on a given issue. Once she lined up those words in her mind, they would flow rapidly from her lips. I loved the way she expressed herself always looking for the right words.

One time she was on a discussion panel. The question was "Is government the solution or the problem?" She thought and then she said with explanation to follow, "Government is the problem." Her thinking was that government works best at the local level and that the further government gets from the problem facing the local folks, the less effective it is in solving it.

God bless her.

God Almighty said...

Her ideologies will live on as long as they are remembered.

Anonymous said...

wow j_g I come over here & find God Almighty. I forgot that guy even existed.

shoprat said...

If only it had been her in 88. Our own Iron Lady.

J_G said...

Hey L>T I usually don't rate a visit from God, he usually contacts me through my guardian angel which is OK, after all he is God and has plenty of other things to do.

Yeah Shoprat, I would have preferred Jean to George Bush I any day of the week

Anonymous said...

yeah, God is pretty busy. No time to do much blogging. :)

I hope you are enjoying the holidays.