Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Merry Christmas




This is a Christmas card I made especially for all my friends. This White Pine is my Christmas tree. The tree is in my backyard next to my garden and is about fifty feet tall. This tree used to be a favorite place for my Labrador Retriever get some shade while he watched me work in the garden. I have many other White Pines and other types of Spruces and Firs but this tree is special so I thought I'd share it with my friends.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Christmas Bells

"I heard the bells on Christmas Day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet
The words repeat
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!


And thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along
The unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!


Till, ringing, singing on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime
A chant sublime
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!


Then from each black accursed mouth
The cannon thundered in the South,
And with the sound
The carols drowned
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!


It was as if an earthquake rent
The hearth-stones of a continent,
And made forlorn
The households born
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!


And in despair I bowed my head;
"There is no peace on earth," I said;
"For hate is strong,
And mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!"


Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead; nor doth he sleep!
The Wrong shall fail,
The Right prevail,
With peace on earth, good-will to men!"


Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really love trees & that's a very nice one. One of The worst thing about this storm that we had here last week was all the big beautiful old trees that came down.

TrekMedic251 said...

Merry CHRISTmas to you, too!

SusieQ said...

What a majestic tree, JG! We have a few pines, but mostly we have some very large oaks in our yard. One in particular towers over everything else.

Merry Christmas to you!

J_G said...

L>T, Back in the winter of 1996 we had a storm that was refered to as "the storm of the century". We had 30-36" inches of snow. That tree lost some major branches but it has been so resilent and is looking good again. Gosh there was so much snow in my back yard my big old lab got tired just trying to get out to the tree and he was almost buried in the snow. I had to go and get that knucklehead, dig him out and bring him back in the house.

I don't have any hardwood trees now Susie. I had one Maple tree and I had to take it down over the summer because it died of some kind of fungus. Just down the road though there is a "Penn Oak". That's an oak that was planted by William Penn, that is the biggest tree in the area. The bottom branches are unbelievably big. The trunk is as big as my pickup truck lengthwise. I think the only trees bigger that the Penn oaks are the giant Sequoia out in L>T's neck of the woods.

Someday I'll run electric out to my pine tree and put some lights on it. I don't know how I'll get an Angel up on top. Maybe I can ask Mr Great Horned Owl that sits up there at night to put an Angel up there for me.

Thanks Trek, I hope you have a quiet holiday.

Marie's Two Cents said...

You have a very Merry Christmas too JG :-)

Marie's Two Cents said...

I forgot, Beautiful Tree! You must be quite the Gardenwoman :-)

J_G said...

Thanks Marie. My garden is just to the left of the picture of the tree. It gets the morning and early afternoon sun. I took this picture early in the morning. It's amazing how well this big tree has healed since that big snow storm back in 96. I try and keep the branches trimmed now. No snow yet but it's on it's way i think. Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...


Merry Christmas!

dtodeen said...

Merry Christmas J G!! Nice to see you still around Corpsblogger!!

Skye said...

Merry Christmas JG! Enjoy the day!