Friday, February 09, 2007

Despicable Character

William Arkin, his own words speak to his despicable character

The words William Arkin wrote in his Washington Post blog were comments about an NBC Nightly News story from Richard Engel, who was embedded with an active duty Army infantry battalion from Fort Lewis, Washington.

William Arkin; “So, we pay the soldiers a decent wage, take care of their families, provide them with housing and medical care and vast social support systems and ship obscene amenities into the war zone for them, we support them in every possible way, and their attitude is that we should in addition roll over and play dead, defer to the military and the generals and let them fight their war, and give up our rights and responsibilities to speak up because they are above society?”
“But it is the United States, and the recent NBC report is just an ugly reminder of the price we pay for a mercenary - oops sorry, volunteer - force that thinks it is doing the dirty work.”



SO WHO IS ARKIN? That has proven to be a difficult thing to determine, for while Arkin is a prolific writer, his biography is hard to assemble, and maybe intentionally so.
Arkin is a veteran of four years in the Army (he served from 1974 to 1978) and many of his bylines from the past two decades described him as a "military intelligence analyst" during his service (his rank and units are not readily apparent). He received his BS from the University of Maryland. Fred Barnes Weekly Standard

His employment since leaving the service is easier to trace. Arkin cut his teeth with the lefty Institute for Policy Studies, and went from there to positions with Greenpeace, the Natural Resources Defense Council, and Human Rights Watch. He has been a regular columnist for the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists. In recent years he has taken more mainstream work as a senior fellow at the School for Advanced International Studies at Johns Hopkins University (he appears to do most of his writing not from the SAIS campus, but from his home in Vermont).
information provided by Hugh Hewitt from an article in The Weekly Standard


Those are just some of the comments made and so much has already been written about this that I could not let it pass without me making some note of it. I did have a bad dream the other night and woke up suddenly after realizing that in my dream I was pounding the living daylights out this guy with a 2x4. This comes about from my intense hatred of anti war protestors that started back during the war in Vietnam. I know up in my profile I tell people I’m a Christian and believe me if I wasn’t a Christian there would be people that would be sorry that they ever left their house to go carry a sign. So I’ll just leave it that.

6 comments:

Marie's Two Cents said...

Oh good Lord dont get me going again!

You and I are having the same dreams isnt that ironic?

J_G said...

I had to pull a splinter out of my hand when I woke up, it was so real!

mariestwocents said...

The more i look at this freak the more he looks like that dude off Sienfeld!

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

I did have a bad dream the other night and woke up suddenly after realizing that in my dream I was pounding the living daylights out this guy with a 2x4.


That was a "bad" dream?!

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Would a 2 x 4 with a rusty nail in it have made it a "good" dream?

J_G said...

Yeah, even if I was kickin that guys butt with a 2x4 he was still making my dream bad by being there in the first place. Dreams are always much better when you wake up smiling instead of a cold sweat anyway.