Friday, March 30, 2007

First Time in History?

"Sherman's Neckties"

Railroad ties about to be heated by fire
and then twisted and bent to make them useless




That statement gets thrown around a lot. “The first time in history”; just what the heck is that supposed to mean? The first time in whose history and just how do you know what the history is? Well, the reason I ask this question is because today while searching for a certain “You Tube” that I haven’t been able to locate, I stumbled across a video (that I’m not going to post) with a discussion about the circumstances of the World Trade Center attacks on 9/11 of 2001. The hostess was exclaiming that it was physically impossible for the buildings to have fallen without the help of explosive devices and for the “First time in history fire had melted steel”.

I took a deep breath and thought to myself this must be some type of expert on metallurgy and that everything that I have learned about steel in my whole entire life was a complete lie. I started packing up all my books on metallurgy and my Machinery’s Handbook along with all my scientific instrumentation handbooks and I started to head to the trashcan with all my books. I had determined that this person on TV knew so much about this subject that in order to be taken so seriously by so many that I must be wrong and so were the authors of the books I was about to toss in the trash can.

I then stopped for a moment and I thought again to myself; let me go across the street to my neighbor Jim and have a talk with him maybe he could straighten me out. Jim is a retired welder from the steel mill that many of my neighbors work at not five miles from house. I asked Jim ”how in the heck do they melt steel down at the steel mill Jim?” My neighbor Jim is a very nice fellow and sometimes believes me to be a bit eccentric but we understand each other and are good neighbors and friends. Jim just stood there and looked at me incredulously when I asked him that question about how they melt steel at the steel mill. Jim said they use heat; they melt steel with heat he said. Jim also asked me "are you OK?" Jim seemed like he was a bit worried about me.

I told Jim why I was asking him this question. I said I had heard on a TV show in the morning that “for the first time in history fire had melted steel”. Jim shook his head and told me don’t believe everything you hear on that infernal box and he went back to what he was doing. Jim was welding a piece of steel and as I was walking back across the street to my house I thought to my self yea, Jim is probably right. I shouldn’t believe everything I hear on TV.


The neckties were created in accordance with an explicit order from Sherman in his Atlanta Campaign, dated July 18, 1864:

...twisting the bars when hot. Officers should be instructed that bars simply bent may be used again, but if when red hot they are twisted out of line they cannot be used again. Pile the ties into shape for a bonfire, put the rails across and when red hot in the middle, let a man at each end twist the bar so that its surface becomes spiral.



*Update* See what Popular Mechanics has to say about the statement "for the first time in history fire has melted steel"
Popular Mechanics


Fame is a fickle food

Fame is a fickle food
Upon a shifting plate
Whose table once a
Guest but not
The second time is set.

Whose crumbs the crows inspect
And with ironic caw
Flap past it to the Farmer's Corn--
Men eat of it and die.

Emily Dickinson

13 comments:

Tom said...

Visiting from CUG's place.

Yep, I heard the sound bites of the self-appointed "enlightened one," and wondered if this person had ever attended a physics class. But then again, her motto has been never let facts get in the way of a good rant...

BTW - I've read your blog and like what I've read. Adding you to my blogroll

patterns of ink said...

Always interesting to read here. I've been swamped for a few weeks, but I'm getting caught up on my reading. Did you get to see President Bush Wednesday night? You gotta love him!

J_G said...

Thanks fellas, blogging can take up alot of time and I wish I was able to go to all the good sites a lot more often.

Patterns of Ink always has something interesting to say over at his place so I highly recommend Pattern's blog to everyone.

I read through the online report on WTC building #7 and I downloaded the highly detailed and technical reports and read that.

I don't have a degree in engineering but I work with enough of the technological aspects of metallurgy and understand what is being said and there is no government conspiracy, far from it.

There were two of the tallest buildings in the world that were hit by fully fueled Boeing 737s not more than 300 feet from building #7 which by the way was fully loaded with fuel also to power it's generators because it was a control center.

That fuel caught fire and raged for most of the day before the building finally collapsed under the metal fatigue caused by what my neighbor Jim told me melted steel; "heat".

So much for blow hardiness. Maybe if they had sent Ms Blowhard up there while the fire was raging she could have blown the fire out and the building would not have collapsed. I don't know about that either because building #7's foundation, not unlike Ms Blowhard's conspiracy theories were undermined when buildings #1&2 came crashing down to the ground just 300 feet away from building #7.

SusieQ said...

All I can say about the 9/11 conspiracy theorists is....just like Rosie O'Donald Duck, they are a bunch of mindless quacks.

Bathroom Hippo said...


If it makes you feel any better...

in Utah we all know Rosie is just a nutjob.

not everyone subscribes to these conspiracy theories.

J_G said...

That's a good one Susie. That made me laugh this morning. Ms Blowhard just can't shut up.

Hey B-Hip, been meaning to ask you. What the heck is up with the mayor of Salt Lake City? How in the heck did a guy like that get elected in Utah. That guy was the Ayatollah of the ACLU out there, they are America's #1 Christian hating/bashing organization so he can't have much good to say about Mormons either.

patterns of ink said...

I'd appreciate your thoughts on my Monday post about Pyrrhic victories. I'm off for Spring Break--nice to get caught up on some reading and writing.

Marie's Two Cents said...

Excellent Post Jenn,

I can just see you asking that question haha.

It's time to make some phone calls to ABC and Disney.

Something has to be done about getting Tokyo Rosie off the tube!

J_G said...

The heck with ABC, the way you get to people like this that depend on advertising is to write the advertisers for the View and tell them you are taking your next purchases and those of your family to another merchant because of their support of the View. In simple, let them know you're going to boycott their products and let everyone know about with your blog. I went to their website to see who was adverising there. The University of Phoenix and Clorox advertise on the website. I have no idea who advertises on the TV show.

SusieQ said...

What I detest about Rosie, aside from her arrogance and haughtiness, is that she feeds a ready audience made up of people who are hungry to hear some dirt about the evil ways of our country and our countrymen.

J_G said...

I just plain old detest her Susie. They bring an audience in that agrees with her attention grabbing antics and makes it look like people agree with her. It's the same thing the media is doing right now by not showing anything but negative news out of Iraq so it gives the impression that all is lost over there. It's the same insidious thing they did during Vietnam. That's why I get so upset because people still fall for that stuff.

Marie's Two Cents said...

Haha I heard that, It's a nice place to visit but I wouldnt want to live here.

That's cute :-)

J_G said...

Only responsible posts will be accepted here smiley. You have nothing to smile about if you are dhimmicrat/liberal.