Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Personal Security

The Wounded Man_Gustav Courbet


Yesterday at the Virginia Tech campus a man with a gun opened fire killing 32 students and himself. The details are still sketchy and for good reason. The administration of the vulnerable college campus did not take sufficient action to protect the students attending the school and now are finding ways to “cover their butts”. They haven’t even announced the name of the shooter yet. I can understand not telling the vultures of the news media the names of the dead and wounded but the not releasing of the name of the shooter? There is some political correctness afoot here and we’re going to be treated to some serious finger pointing in the next few days, mark my words.

In this day and age when police are unable and actually not required to provide protection to people against criminals it up to you as an individual to provide for your own security and make yourself aware of the security environment you live. The largest mass murders here in the United States happened in places where there was virtually no security and are the most vulnerable places. They are school campuses; the latest one at Virginia Tech is now being credited as largest with the most people killed but there was one back in 1966 at the University of Texas at Austin when Charles Whitman a veteran Marine opened fire with an M1 carbine from the clock tower killing 14 people. Whitman held off police for about 2 hours until he was finally brought down by three very brave policemen named Houston McCoy, Ramiro Martinez and Jerry Day who had worked their way up into to the tower where they ambushed Whitman and shot and killed him.

One of the other major shootings that get so much attention was at Littleton Colorado at Columbine High School. The two culprits killed 12 people for no there reason than they felt like outsiders and where on anti depressant drugs. Anti gun hysteria was at an all time high after this incident and I’m sure this latest incident will mean nothing more than a way for the anti gun lobby to make their convoluted case against legitimate constitutionally protected gun ownership. I feel very badly for the families of those that were killed by this perpetrator. It seems that there is no value placed on life anymore by young people. There are a lot of reasons for that and I’m sure in the comments we’ll be discussing those reasons. What I’m saying now to everyone is; don’t expect the police to be able to protect you, they can’t and are not obligated to do so according to the United States Supreme Court. You are the only one that can provide for your own personal security so become informed and take the necessary steps to do so.


Each small gleam was a voice

Each small gleam was a voice,
A lantern voice --
In little songs of carmine, violet, green, gold.
A chorus of colours came over the water;
The wondrous leaf-shadow no longer wavered,
No pines crooned on the hills,
The blue night was elsewhere a silence,
When the chorus of colours came over the water,
Little songs of carmine, violet, green, gold.

Small glowing pebbles
Thrown on the dark plane of evening
Sing good ballads of God
And eternity, with soul's rest.
Little priests, little holy fathers,
None can doubt the truth of your hymning,
When the marvellous chorus comes over the water,
Songs of carmine, violet, green, gold.

Stephen Crane


Update!!!!****

Working from memory I found this. This woman was a survivor of Luby's Cafeteria attack in Killeen Texas


Luby's Massacre

It's hard to make out faces on the The You Tube but believe me it's the arch enemy of gunowners Charles Schumer sitting there looking down in a condecending manner as Suzzana Hupp gives testimony on the way Gun Control affected her life.

16 comments:

Marie's Two Cents said...

Oh they are already starting, the European press is blaming Charleton Heston for the shooting!!

I guess they have never read our Constitution.

I'm sure they will get around to blaming President Bush eventually.

SusieQ said...

What I don't understand is why the University did not go into lockdown right away.

Also,why wasn't there a PA system in place to get the word out quickly? I don't think they have one. What would they do in the event of an approaching tornado? Send out emails to everyone that might not be read for a few hours?

J_G said...

This is where I cut my teeth Marie. The press and liberals are going to throw the kitchen sink at American gun owners so get ready. I expect shipment on my new piece by the end of the week. I have to go through all kinds of paperwork and backgroud checks but I have a carry permit, an NRA firearms saftey instructor certification and I still have to go through all the paperwork.

Criminals don't doo all of that, they just go to Philly at 52nd and Market St. and buy whatever they want right out in the open with no paperwork and oh, every new gun comes with a rock to smoke for the ride over to the next shoot down. My gun distributor offers no such premium when I do my legal tranfer from him.

It's going to get ugly but I'm a seasoned warhorse on this. This Korean man had it in his head to murder all those people and with the lack of security and the vulnerability at the VA Tech campus made it all that much easier for him. Refuse to be a victim!

I took a rest from all this about five years ago because I was able to but i guess I'm back in the thick of it again. Here we go!

J_G said...

Susie, From what I understand the campus is very large, almost the size of a whole town. Email notifcation was lame to say the least. Every building should have been equipped with at least one person with a radio or a duty watch monitoring a phone for emergencies. It's not that hard to coordinate something like that and with the amount of money these people pay to go to this college security should have been high on the priority list.

This is the problem Susie the people in charge are asleep at the switch. This is the same mindset that dominates the liberal ideolgy. They wait until something happens and then overreact instead of taking common sense measures all along to prevent mass murders, fires and bombings. They did have bomb scares there for the last couple of months but they pooh-poohed that as some kind of prank.

Marie's Two Cents said...

Jenn,

That Video you added says it all.

Wordsmith and I were discussing the LA riots the other day and that is one of the reasons I moved to Oklahoma from Cali.

Nothing like the feeling of knowing for sure if all hell breaks loose the Cops ARENT Coming!!

And who do you think it will be left up to, to protect YOU? YOU AND ONLY YOU that's who!!

There is a saying in Oklahoma, "You Can Have My Gun After You Pry It From My Cold Dead Fingers!!

SusieQ said...

I agree about that video. It hits the nail squarely on the head.

Rosie O' would do away with our right to bear arms and protect ourselves even though she hires armed body guards for her own protection.

patterns of ink said...

I've been following this like the rest of the country, but as a school administrator, I think of our "lock down" drills and how many things could NOT go as planned. But I have to agree with SQ... emails in a crisis. I can go hours without checking my emails at work. One thing is for sure...something will come out of this that affects all schools even though every situation is going to be different.
Tonight they're all talking about this Korean as if he were very disturbed. How does a "disturbed" non-resident get a gun? Does the 2nd ammend apply to legal alians? I may have the facts wrong.

J_G said...

Tom, From what I understand the shooter was a resident alien. He was legal to own a gun in VA but had to go through some extra steps from the VA State police through the National Crime Information Center
That is an issue that needs to be discussed in my opinion. In this day of illegal aliens streaming across our borders and claiming rights that do belong to them I don't think non-citzens are entitled to the same rights as citizens. After living here for 20 some years and is still not a citizen brings into question our policies on citizen and residency status too.

Also, the shooter in this terrible mass murder was showing signs of a major short circuit and he was referred to a counselor by one of his professors. There will be a lot questions that need to be answered.

I really believe that if school adminstrators have it in their mind to make schools safer by having lockdown plans and key personel with training in emergency response that the risk can be cut down even though as you point out Tom things go wrong sometimes during drills it is still better than having no response at all as what went on at VA Tech. Sending out emails is entirely unacceptable and actually ludicrous when you correctly point out "I can go hours without checking my emails at work."

The finger pointing hasn't started in earnest yet except from the ususal suspects Roise..."it's all George Bush's fault" but stand by it's coming.

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

It's already here

Why of course! Is anything not George W. Bush's fault?

J_G said...

I'm not going to do a post on the innaccuracies of the news media in reporting this incident as of yet there are just too many but if anyone of you here want the straight scoop on anything that has to do with firearms and the technical details you are free to ask me and I will respond.

Incidentally, one of my closest friends, who is now a college chemistry professor and I often to her as the smartest person I know, graduated from Virginia Tech B.S. Chemistry, VPISU, '74
and she is devastated by this event. I have not discussed this event in detail as of yet with her but I will be having dinner with her this weekend and we will talk.

Diane requested this of me and some of her other friends; if
you would, rummage around your closets for two of the most unflattering
colors a body could wear -- maroon and orange -- for Friday, a national day
of "Hokie Hope".

patterns of ink said...

Thanks for the great comment Tuesday night. It made me think and actually prompted a mid-week post Wed. night.

Mike's America said...

That's the same woman in the Penn & Teller video (which is much clearer).

She makes a persuasive arguement.

You think Schumer listened?

J_G said...

You think Schumer listened?

Not a chance Mike, Charlie Schumer is a top gun hater from long ago. He's been the arch enemy of constitutional rights for many years now.

I was in the thick of all those gun battles back in 80s and 90s and I decided I could take a break when George Bush got elected and I was right but I never strayed too far away from the fight because I knew sooner or later there would still be Schumer, Biden, Clinton, Kennedy, and others to fend off later down the road. Well, the time has come to go back to work. Freedom requires constant vigilance but there's nothing wrong in taking a break and let some younger ones learn the ropes and share in the load.

I'm not so confident that the older generation that taught me is being replaced by the younger generation as the older ones leave us though.

Now maybe you understand where I was coming from when I got my hackles up about PM John Howard over at your place Mike.

J_G said...

I'm glad I could give you some food for thought Tom.

It seems that some of the fellows over at Mike's blog may be on a hunger strike in that regard though.

Marie's Two Cents said...

Jenn,

LOL, I thought you would get a kick out of this.

82-Year-Old Ex-Beauty Queen Stops Intruder by Shooting Out Tires

J_G said...

Marie, We sure some fun at work laughing about Miss Amreica of 1944 capturing the burglars. Dang girl, I hope I can still shoot that good when I'm 82