Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Debates




Preparation for War to Defend Commerce_Russell Birch

Joshua Humphrey's Shipyard in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania building America's first Frigates 1794




I played hooky from work last night because I really need some sleep. I did watch the debates between the ten Republican candidates on TV before I went back to sleep. In my mind there were only two candidates that actually came across as appearing presidential. One of them was the front runner, Rudy Giuliani and the other man that I believed came across truly having the stature and credibility to lead this nation as president was the Congressman from California Duncan Hunter. I don’t believe they went to him often enough for answers to the tough questions but the answers he did give were clear, concise and most of all; they made sense.

The low point of the debate was when Ron Paul the fringe and misinformed congressman from Texas commented he believed that it was the fault of the United States that we were attacked on September 11th 2001. Rudy Giuliani quickly and forcibly made Ron Paul the fringe and misinformed congressman from Texas justify those remarks and when Paul attempted some convoluted answer Mr. Giuliani demanded Mr. Paul retract his absurd statements.

It appears that Mr. Paul believes we are still nothing more than an isolated island of freedom and we have no business interacting with the rest of the world. That was the view of many of the founding fathers for the first few years of our great republic and it served us then to gear up for being the economic and military power our country would become. Those days are over and the founding fathers such as Jefferson, Madison and Monroe soon found that out when it was their turn to govern and apply their theories to the Executive Office. If there was any question on whether we should become a military power and be able to project our power abroad Jefferson found out from having to deal with Barbary pirates in the Mediterranean and Madison got his baptism during the war of 1812 with Great Britain. The days of isolation were over in 1815 after the signing the Treaty of Ghent and there is no going back to those days before. Maybe Mr. Ron Paul should have been a Marine and learned the words of the Marine Hymn and learn what they mean; “From the halls of Montezuma To the shores of Tripoli, We fight our country’s battles In the air, on land, and sea,”

I think Mr. Duncan Hunter and Mr. Rudolf Giuliani were the clear presidential front runners after this debate. I hope to hear your opinions on this. I also hope you will write to the Republican National Committee and ask that they not invite Mr. Ron Paul to any future presidential debates because he brings nothing useful or credible to the table.


A man said to the universe:

A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."

Stephen Crane



14 comments:

Mike's America said...

I enjoyed meeting Duncan Hunter and hearing him speak here on Hilton Head in March.

During the meeting, I stood up and said that "all of us here agree with what you say, but how will you provide the leadership to get your program enacted."

I think I must have stumped him as he answered "That's a very good question" before saying something about being able to work with others to get the job done.

Leadership is the biggest issue for me as it doesn't matter what the candidates say, it's whether they could actually convince people to go along with it. That for me was the hallmark of President Reagan's success.

Hunter has done well so far in South Carolina. So who knows what will happen.

Rudy was good too. And he's certainly strong on leadership.

Marie's Two Cents said...

I thought Ron Paul did a bang up job!!!


A bang up job of getting his ass kicked by Rudy Guliani!! :-)

J_G said...

Mike, Duncan Hunter sounded very sure of his answers and himself. I missed the exchange between McCain and Romney while I went into the other room for a couple of minutes. No matter, neither one of them can beat Clinton.

Marie, I said what I needed to say over at your blog about the ultra right wing extremists. Now, let's get on with the business of getting a candidate that can beat Clinton.

SusieQ said...

Right after the debate, the polls had Ron Paul winning the debate and in the lead. Can you believe that? The news commentators were more than a little baffled by it. There was some speculation as to how that might have happened. Paul must have had his crew hard at work calling in, emailing in, whatever they do in those polls.

It was "Rudy Guiliani Super Star" last night over Ron Paul's remark about why 9/11 happened (our bombing of Iraq.) Rudy let him have it but good. It doesn't get any better than that. As one commentator put it tonight on Hardball, "Rudy owns 9/11." He sure does.

patterns of ink said...

I missed the debate but watched some summary on Fox. I'll keep an eye on Duncan Hunter. I don't know much about him, but if you were impressed... I'll bet I am, too. Keep up the good work here!

J_G said...

Susie, Paul had people waiting to text message in on their cell phones because that's how Fox was doing the survey. The internet and text surveys are highly suspect because there is no way of checking if people voted multiple times. Rudy da man in that debate.

Tom thanks for the vote of confidence. I'll listen to the candidate's message to see if I agree with it and also if the candidate believes in their own message or if they are just pandering to an audience to get elected. I liked what I heard from Duncan Hunter and he is sincere about his beliefs. I'm not sure of his chances after a performance like the one Rudy gave, Rudy is a definite leader.

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Paul must have had his crew hard at work calling in, emailing in, whatever they do in those polls.

If you go to his website (*blech*), you can see where they ask people text in, and also go to blogs and show their support.

That might explain some of the recent infestation of Ron Paulbots that Marie and others are experiencing.

J_G said...

Word, I'm always prepared to repel broadsides from right and left loons with overwhelming broadsides called common sense.

Mrs. Green, tired said...

Hi Jennifer,

Hope all is well. Just doing a "drive-by" post today. Just returned from a long visit with family out in Calif. I am exhausted! That's what happens when you spend your days with a very, very active 3 1/2 year old.

I discovered Stephen Crane's poetry when I was a teen. Here's one of my favorites:

I saw a man pursuing the horizon;
Round and round they sped.
I was disturbed at this;
I accosted the man.
"It is futile," I said,
"You can never -"

"You lie," he cried,
And ran on.

I sort of kept up with politics and such during my visit, but I do have lots of catching up to do.

It's amazing, isn't it? The country managed to carry on even though I contributed nothing to the political discourse! ;-)

Stay well. Later.

Mrs. Green
(Joanne)

J_G said...

Well, Hello Mrs Green! I often wonder how you are doing and as a matter of fact I went to your blog yesterday to see if you had posted something lately.

I hope you and your family are doing well.

Gather up your strength and make yourself a regular vistor here and over at Marie's. I'm sure she will be glad to hear that you have visited too.

Bathroom Hippo said...


I'm still going with Romney.
I like Rudy but...you know...the abortion thing. I do believe Romney has changed.

J_G said...

I don't know yet B-Hip, Rudy is looking presidential. As far as abortion is concerned I pretty much agree with the majority of people on it. Keep it legal but with restrictions. The partial birth murder thing has got to go though and no federal funds to be used for any abortions AT ALL Period. Lets see who can stick to those principles along with no restrictions on what kind of firearm I can choose to own and carry. I'd like to see a National carry law and permit so I can go state to state without having to worry about hiding my carry piece. I did like the line about Rudy McRomney that one cracked me up. We'll figure it out. The only candidate I didn't like was Ron Paul, he's one of those lunatic libertarians that wants to create "island America" too late for that pal, I'd say he's about 200 hundred years too late.

Little Miss Chatterbox said...

Duncan Hunter and Rudy are my 2 favorites also of the current crop.

Tom the Redhunter said...

Ron Paul has become an embarassment.

I too, like Duncan Hunter but don't think he has much chance of getting the nomination. As such, my favorite right now is Mitt Romney.

I admire Rudy, but he's tied himself in knots on abortion and gun control. Just the other day he said that he agreed with 'right to carry', unless local governments want to make it illegal. huh?