Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Fed Up!

Samuel Adams_John Singleton Copley


I haven’t been posting too much lately on political issues mostly because I’m pretty fed up with the quality of people we have representing us. First, there is a whole political party that has put all of its chips on the defeat square for short term political gain and they take no heed to the long term effects of their shortsightedness. While this political party demoralizes our troops and points to every bomb and rocket attack as another signal that we are losing a difficult war. The democrat allies in the press refuse to print anything positive that is happening in Iraq but they have little hesitance in reporting false stories about our own troops. Yesterday the Iraqi government forged ahead with a new alliance among themselves and it appears the deadlock over many issues will be overcome. The press put it in the back pages of some papers and other major publications refused to even print this huge bit of progress. Now, one candidate for President has already floated an experimental balloon to see how her “I was always for the war’ speech will go. Those examples are the obvious and outright reasons for being fed up with our representatives.

There are some other reasons now that I’m going to get to that are going to sting a bit so go get some Bactine or Neosporin but it needs to be said. OK, here’s the deal. Just the other day a leading Republican Senator from Virginia came back from his visit from Iraq and said to the press; we should withdraw some troops from Iraq before Christmas to let the Iraqi government know we are serious about them getting their government in working order. The United States Senator from Virginia specified that we should withdraw approximately five thousand troops. That is quite the coincidence, the president had already made plans to bring home five thousand troops from Iraq around Christmas time as a reward for those that have fought so hard and have done such a good job. The president had not made those plans public yet when the senior Senator from Virginia made his remarks about using troop withdraws as a tool to make the Iraqis cooperate in making a working government. To me, that was a pretty underhanded and ineffective way to win accolades from the opposition party and their willing accomplices in the press.

Now, what really got me fired up this morning is the report about a certain Senator from Idaho that is just too unbelievable to fathom. It appears that this certain REPUBLICAN Senator from Idaho saw fit to play footsie in a public bathroom looking to have sex with another man in this public place. I don’t give two hoots what anyone decides to do in the privacy of their home with any consulting adult partner they choose, that is entirely their choice. For a United States Senator to be prowling a public bathroom in a major Airport to have sex with a man or woman is so reprehensible it is beyond all words. With the wheelbarrows full of money the Congress is taking from us everyday you’d think this Senator from Idaho would have enough sense to find a prostitute and keep it out of the public eye. Maybe an even better solution would be for the US Senator to have resigned and taken all of his ill gotten gains and go live on island somewhere with all the prostitutes he wants. It’s no different for the rest of them either, some way some how these people that have made themselves the ruling elite have lost their daggone minds and we’re paying for it.

I still support every man and woman that serves our country overseas and I will keep the pressure on my elected representatives to do the same. I will however work to see a change in the way my party and our Congress conduct themselves while they represent us, Democrat or Republican.

Correction: Yesterday I referred to the Senator as being from Iowa when I meant to type Idaho. That Senator's name is Larry Craig and he represents Idaho and not Iowa.


The Undiscovered Country

MAN has explored all countries and all lands,
And made his own the secrets of each clime.
Now, ere the world has fully reached its prime,
The oval earth lies compassed with steel bands;
The seas are slaves to ships that touch all strands,
And even the haughty elements sublime
And bold, yield him their secrets for all time,
And speed like lackeys forth at his commands.
Still, though he search from shore to distant shore,
And no strange realms, no unlocated plains
Are left for his attainment and control,
Yet is there one more kingdom to explore.
Go, know thyself, O man! there yet remains
The undiscovered country of thy soul!

Ella Wheeler Wilcox

17 comments:

patterns of ink said...

J_G,
I know what you mean. It is very disheartening the way the media goes out of its way to avoid anything that may actually show some good is going on in Iraq.

I must say I was startled when you mistakenly said Iowa. Having lived in Iowa for 18 years, there are two well-known senators: Democrat Tom Harkin and Republican Chuck Grassley. So when I read this I thought.... not Chuck! He's a friend of mine. His grandchild was in my former school. He has spoken at our commencement on two occasions. I have a picture of him and me on the shelf of my office at school. So I went to Drudge and WHEW! It wasn't Iowa. It was Idaho. (Easily confused.) It's still disgusting like you said, but I was so glad it wasn't Chuck. =)

J_G said...

Tom, Ooops, my mistake. I did mean to type Idaho because I know who Larry Craig is. My fault!!! I guess I was just so incensed at the time I wrote the piece. I'm probably one of the few people that can name 95% of all the Senators and what State they come from.

I used the painting of Samuel Adams for my point that it's time for another house cleaning. Samuel Adams was the man behind organizing and inspiriing everyone for the Revolution.

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

when the senior Senator from Virginia made his remarks about using troop withdraws as a tool to make the Iraqis cooperate in making a working government. To me, that was a pretty underhanded and ineffective way to win accolades from the opposition party and their willing accomplices in the press.

I agree. It sends the wrong message to everyone, including those who root for our defeat- anti-war BDS lefties and Al Qaeda thugs alike. This was a bit of salve to the wound, but the wound should never have occurred.

And it really pisses me off when our elected leaders can allow themselves to do stupid things that not only hurts their career, but in times like these, can hurt a whole political movement and party. And that hurts America. WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?!!!!!!!?

J_G said...

WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?!!!!!!!?

That's what I'd like to know Word! We're out here taking care of business trying to keep things together and then an idiot like Warner comes along and kicks us in the teeth, weakening us and America. It's bad enough the dems wave the white flag of surrender and can't understand we can't afford to lose everything we have gained but to have someone supposedly on our own side do this is ridiculous and for what? I'll tell you what; he's trying to appease the wishy washy and very squishy Main Street malcontents. Gosh I wish there a way to make them disappear, they serve only to strengthen democrats and have no useful purpose!

What the heck would be wrong if Craig said he was gay ? The world would not have come to an end and he wouldn't have to sneak around and have it come out in the bathroom of an airport. STOOOOOPID!!!

If you got to come out it's better that you have control of the events instead of the events controlling you. Craig is another moron that can't think things all the way through. Is the democrat disease contagious?

I hope the republican leadership calls a meeting together soon to read these morons the riot act and get them the hell in line.

Conservatives will sit on their hands again in the next election thereby shooting themselves in the foot if the republicans don't get these representatives and senators on the same page and get some new conservative blood in the ranks.

Does everyone understand how easy it is to burnout trying deal with these political issues seriously and then have your own people undermine your efforts?

The dems are about par on that front for right now but things can swing either way at this point.

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

What the heck would be wrong if Craig said he was gay ? The world would not have come to an end and he wouldn't have to sneak around and have it come out in the bathroom of an airport. STOOOOOPID!!!

His press conference was just embarrassing. I mean...he basically said the only thing he did wrong was plead guilty to a criminal charge.

That just gives more ammo to the latenight pundits, and weakens the Party.


I hope the republican leadership calls a meeting together soon to read these morons the riot act and get them the hell in line.


Party discipline is everything.

American Interests said...

I sense a degree of frustration in your post. Iraq like Vietnam (and the politics that stem from it) are causing a great many divisions within your society. Your paragraph "I still support ... Democrat or Republican" was welcome. Do keep the pressure on your elected reps and especially those fools on the left side of Democrat politics that hope for failure in Iraq.

J_G said...

Welcome American interests, I've been through this frustration before and it's all part and parcel of following politics and being involved. Humans are fallable creatures and most times it's fairly unpredictable what's going to happen next. It hasn't been that long, maybe two years since I became reinvolved after about a five year hiatus away from politics. I've noticed one thing after my time away from politics, it's now much eaier to spot the outright liars and phonies and call them on it then it used to be.

Word, I saw that conference and it was all I could do not to scream at the TV. What makes it worse, now I'm hearing people on our side coming to Craig's defense and becoming apologists like democrats do. I did yell at the radio briefly this morning on the way home when I heard another apologist. He plead guilty and now he apologizes for pleading guilty, paaaaleeeeze!!! We will accept his resignation by the end of the week and nothing else is acceptable! There are standards for conservatives and we have set them. Cruising bathrooms looking for random anonymous sex isn't one of them. We just went through that with Jim McGreedy in New Jersey why would hold a conservative to different standards?

Donald Douglas said...

That's a nice post - I didn't even notice the Iowa error!

Have a great night!

J_G said...

Donald, I went back and corrected the error about which state Seantor Craig was from. I was very angry when I wrote my post. I have do have very kind friends that keep me honest though.

Gayle said...

We all make mistakes, Jennifer, and what's nice is that our blogging friends will point them out nicely! :)

As for Craig...UGH! What was he thinking? He evidently wasn't thinking, or if he was it was with the wrong part of his anatomy! Our elected officials running around acting like horny teenagers, whether heterosexual or homosexual, is not acceptable! He is indeed a disgrace. Also, if he sleeps with his wife (which we don't know) he puts her at risk of all sorts of venereal diseases including aids!

Keep up the fight and don't lose heart, Jennifer. We need all the fighters we can get.

I also got the hint regarding Samuel Adams. It may well come to that!

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

What makes it worse, now I'm hearing people on our side coming to Craig's defense and becoming apologists like democrats do. I did yell at the radio briefly this morning on the way home when I heard another apologist.

Yeah, I just watched Sean Hannity on Hannity & Colmes say the obligatory, "I'm not defending the guy...but," then proceeds to basically "defend" him. Which is exactly what some doofus did the other night on the same program when they were discussing Michael Vick. If I remember, someone was trying to inject race into the mix, and he (or was it another "lefty" guest?) was saying "I'm not defending him, but...." then proceeds to basically defend him.

J_G said...

Gayle said...Keep up the fight and don't lose heart, Jennifer. We need all the fighters we can get.

Hi Gayle, I'm no quitter, I do have to vent my frustrations though. Blogging has given me that outlet. I'll die fighting for what I believe in. I just get tired of getting the rug
pulled out from under me from people that are supposed to be on our side.

They're trying to turn this into a gay issue and it is not. This situation with Senator Craig is about a United States Senator showing little or no regard for his office, his family, his constituents and the American people with his totally indiscrete and reprehensible behavior in a public bathroom.

I applaud the Republican leadership for taking swift action and a strong stand. That is exactly what needed to be done. This was a test of the new leadership since the 2006 debacle and I think the new leadership passed with flying colors on this one.

Word, I don't think the apologists know they are even apologizing. People are so used to making excuses with the mistaken idea that principles don't matter. Short term political gain in place of principled stand is now what the democrats are demonstrating. As an American I won't tolerate it from democrats and as a conservative and a Republican I won't tolerate it from people that claim to be on my side of aisle.

If I thought this was some kind of phony set up or purposeful sting you know I would go to the wall defending that person but this case just isn't that. The man plead guilty, he is a United States Senator and understands the law and all of it's implications and if he doesn't; should he be a United States Senator?

Paul F. said...

I'm speechless.

Really enjoying your blogs' music though.

J_G said...

Thanks Paul, it took some work to get my music on my blog. This player was a bear but it had the capabilities I wanted. Someday I'll learn to play the piano but until then enjoy some of my selections. I've got a whole line up uploaded to my file server. To see the artist and name of song just mouse over "Now Playing" just above the player, it will display the information about what's playing.

Marie's Two Cents said...

I know your frustration Jenn,

That's why we all need to ban together and keep fighting these idiots.

dons_mind said...

Jenn - - found you blog via a comment you left over at dragon lady's site. enjoyed perusing the site - especially that music. good stuff!

craig needs to resign - asap. gop doesn't need another one of these as elections creep up. the party needs to dump him and dump him fast - regardless of his innocence or guilt. we (conservatives) don' need that type of press at the moment.

see your crow up top. thanks for serving! stay proud! have you check out TogetherWeServed yet? http://navy.togetherweserved.com - good place to stay in touch...

J_G said...

Hi Marie, I'm done bitching, time to get back to work. I've been going through some of my inspirational music and now I'm able to put it on my blog. We're going to move forward to;
1: prevent a loss in Iraq
2: get behind a prez candidate that represents our beliefs and can beat the Clintons.
3: clean out our own nest of dead weight and of questionable character. Thanks for stopping by Marie!

Let me make this clear to all those that don't know me or are new visitors. I don't care if any congressional representatives are gay or straight as long as they act respectable and honor the office they serve. I do know gay republicans right here in the Philadephia area and they are good people that tolerate some unbelievable abuse and still carry on the fight. I don't have answers to all the questions about families, children and churches when it comes to that, my beliefs run along the same lines as Dick and Lynn Cheney when it comes to loved ones that are gay.

Welcome don, I've seen some of your posts at Mike's and marie's but I wish I could spend more time to check out more blogs. Yup, I'm Navy I belong to a couple unit pages at Military.com and one of the ships I served aboard. I'll check out the links you posted.