Monday, September 03, 2007

Happy Labor Day

The End of the Season_William Merritt Chase


Wind


He shouts in the sails of the ships at sea,
He steals the down from the honeybee,
He makes the forest trees rustle and sing,
He twirls my kite till it breaks its string.
Laughing, dancing, sunny wind,
Whistling, howling, rainy wind,
North, South, East and West,
Each is the wind I like the best.
He calls up the fog and hides the hills,
He whirls the wings of the great windmills,
The weathercocks love him and turn to discover
His whereabouts -- but he's gone, the rover!
Laughing, dancing, sunny wind,
Whistling, howling, rainy wind,
North, South, East and West,
Each is the wind I like the best.
The pine trees toss him their cones with glee,
The flowers bend low in courtesy,
Each wave flings up a shower of pearls,
The flag in front of the school unfurls.
Laughing, dancing, sunny wind,
Whistling, howling, rainy wind,
North, South, East and West,
Each is the wind I like the best.

Amy Lowell

5 comments:

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Happy Labor Day, Jennifer!

SusieQ said...

Happy Labor Day, Jenni. My favorite classical music radio station is playing songs appropriate for the day. Hard to believe, but it is true.

This poem speaks to me with such intensity. I love the wind. I think I may have mentioned that to you one time.

Jenni, I am so jealous. I wish I had music at my blog. I know, I have that bit of music that goes with my photo show, but I am talking about having it set up at my blog like you have at yours so that I can choose from a variety of music.

I won't ask you to help me get music at my blog, because you made it clear that it was difficult for you to do it for yourself. I think you compared it in difficulty to a 4 based on a scale of 1 to 5. Left to figure it out on my own, I have little reason to be confident it will ever get done. Feel sorry for me yet?

Donald Douglas said...

That's a beautiful poem...thank you, Jennifer!

Have a great holiday!

concerned citizen said...

Happy & restful labor Day to you j_g.

J_G said...

I had a lovely dinner with a good friend tonight because our Labor Day picnic was cancelled. Our friend and host was not feeling well and is still recovering from a recent surgery. Thanks all for stopping by and I hope you all had a wonderful day.