Monday, November 19, 2007

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is the most important holiday of the year for me. It was time to be home with my family. I now spend Thanksgiving with very close friends either at my house or theirs. This year we will spend Thanksgiving at my house. I will read this next piece for the prayer of Thanksgiving.

George Washington_Gilbert Stuart



Thanksgiving Proclamation

[New York, 3 October 1789]


By the President of the United States of America, a Proclamation.

Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor-- and whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness.

Now therefore I do recommend and assign Thursday the 26th day of November next to be devoted by the People of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be-- That we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks--for his kind care and protection of the People of this Country previous to their becoming a Nation--for the signal and manifold mercies, and the favorable interpositions of his Providence which we experienced in the course and conclusion of the late war--for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty, which we have since enjoyed--for the peaceable and rational manner, in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national One now lately instituted--for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed; and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and in general for all the great and various favors which he hath been pleased to confer upon us.

and also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions-- to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually--to render our national government a blessing to all the people, by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed--to protect and guide all Sovereigns and Nations (especially such as have shewn kindness unto us) and to bless them with good government, peace, and concord--To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the encrease of science among them and us--and generally to grant unto all Mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand at the City of New York the third day of October in the year of our Lord 1789.

Go: Washington

25 comments:

Mike's America said...

It's a day to be thankful that we live in such a great and free nation.

It's also a day to be thankful for all our blogging friends across the nation who do so much throughout the year to honor and protect the spirit and promise of this great and free nation.

Happy Thanksgiving Jennifer!

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

It's also a day to be thankful for all our blogging friends across the nation who do so much throughout the year to honor and protect the spirit and promise of this great and free nation

Thanks, Mike: That's a very nice thing to say about me. (^_^)

Happy Thanksgiving Jennifer!

J_G said...

Happy Thanksgiving Mike and Wordsmith. You fellas make blogging fun.

Marie's Two Cents said...

Happy Thanksgiving Jenn :-)

concerned citizen said...

& handmaiden & L>T says...Have a great Thanksgiving Jennifer

J_G said...

Happy Thanksgiving Marie and to all of you out there in Oregon Dian:-)

dons_mind said...

faith, family, freedom and friends are great things to be thankful for! happy thanksgiving j_g...

Skye said...

What a beautiful tribute to this day, J_G.

I couldn't resist the opportunity to snark at the code pinkos today.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, J_G.

TrekMedic251 said...

Happy Thanksgiving, JG! :)

Dee said...

Happy Thanksgiving Jennifer!! I too thought about posting Washington's Proclamation but just linked to it. Great post!!

J_G said...

Thanks everyone, I hope all of you had as nice a Thanksgiving as I did. I had six friends over and I cooked a twenty pound turkey. Getting ready for Thanksgiving was quite a task this year but having my very good friends over was well worth it. There were two Navy and one Marine at my Thanksgiving table tonight and we prayed for our men and women now serving in uniform.

Happy Thanksgiving, Don, Skye, Trek, and Dee.

MonicaR said...

Troll and I wish you a very happy Thanksgiving, Jennifer. It sounds like you had a beautiful celebration!

patterns of ink said...

Great Post! Thanksgiving and July 4th are the two "American" holidays (the ones that didn't come from the Old World).
HOpe you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

J_G said...

Thanks Tom I like the all American holdays especially Thanksgiving. I hope your Thanksgiving was nice too.

Monica and Troll, I had friends over that I had told about meeting you and Troll at the Constitution center. I finally got to show them the pictures and tell them how much fun I had. I haven't had much time for blogging lately but I hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving in your new country home.

Gayle said...

I'm glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, Jennifer. So did we. We (my husband and myself) put together a Thanksgiving dinner at the church every year for those who people who have no extended family and would otherwise spend Thanksgiving alone. It was very enjoyable. :)

"Go Washington." Indeed! :)

patterns of ink said...

Did you watch the debate last night? It seems like they all had good moments and audience appeal. Some good exchanges. The troops came out ahead with strong show of support (except for RP, but he got bood). Mitt looked momentarily vulnerable and "say anything" when they read to him his quote that he couldn't wait for gays to serve openly in the military and he said something like "we weren't at war when I said that back then." duh. He did strike me as a man willing to admit when he's wrong and that goes a long way. Fred struck me for the first time as good choice for VP if he doesn't get traction. I can see why people like Huckabee but don't know if America would elect him. Mayor RG looked electable but I really think the 3rd wife baggage will drag him down with the base. There’s only one of them (based on last night) that I think isn't worthy of being taken seriously by the electorate--RP seems to be enjoying the air time.

I'm looking forward to your insightful thoughts and updates on the Republican field.

Donald Douglas said...

Came over to see if you had any commentary on the CNN YouTube debate

Hope you're well, Jennifer!

J_G said...

I'll be back with commentary over the weekend. It'sd been a very busy week and I took a much needed break from blogging and politics. I just don't have the tolerance for all the day to day non-sense that goes on during an election that I used to. I heard someone refer to it as "silly season" years ago and that rings true every time there is an important election.

Marie's Two Cents said...

Well Jenn,

Your rest is over lol

Primaries are coming up and it's time for us to roll up our sleeves and go to work :-)

Skye said...

It was good to see you this past Saturday at the Courthouse!

handmaiden said...

Yes, jennifer come back. I want to know what you (& your friends) think about all this stuff.
You know me, I'm just learning. I need to hear different points of view. I don't mind debating with you. I'm comfortable here because I know you won't beat me up too bad. :)

J_G said...

I'm still here everyone. I have been busy with all the holiday stuff. I really do appreciate that you come here and want to have a dicussion on the political events. We will do that. I have to get myself back up to speed. though. I have been going over to my dear friend Marie's blog and leaving some comments and I have been to Skye's blog too. I even showed up up late for the counter insurgency at West Chester last week. I sat cooling my heels waiting for a simple answer at the bank for an hour before going to the counter protest.

I do want to talk about the fraud that Mrs. Clinton and her gang is trying perpetrate on the country and I will put up a post on it and we will discuss those issues.

I have made some very good friends here with Dian, Marie, Susie, Skye, and all of my other dear friends that are too numerous to name right here. I don't want to lose that, I'm just being a slacker so I'll cut it out and do something about it. Thank you all for your vote of confidence and for being my friends.

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Comments like the above begin to happen when you remain dormant for too long.

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Well....great, Jennifer. Now my comment above makes zero sense! lol.

The Federalist said...

How ironic to have a picture of George Washington, on this blog! What a scream! He and his brothers were more liberal than Feingold, Kennedy and Edwards put together. To be enslaved to the, "You're either with us or against us", would draw the most heated ire from that generation of Americans.