Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year

Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres_ Madame d'Haussonville


I wish all my friends and readers a very Happy New Year.



The Two Streams

Behold the rocky wall
That down its sloping sides
Pours the swift rain-drops, blending, as they fall,
In rushing river-tides!
Yon stream, whose sources run
Turned by a pebble's edge,
Is Athabasca, rolling toward the sun
Through the cleft mountain-ledge.
The slender rill had strayed,
But for the slanting stone,
To evening's ocean, with the tangled braid
Of foam-flecked Oregon.

So from the heights of Will
Life's parting stream descends,
And, as a moment turns its slender rill,
Each widening torrent bends, --

From the same cradle's side,
From the same mother's knee, --
One to long darkness and the frozen tide,
One to the Peaceful Sea!

Oliver Wendell Holmes

7 comments:

J_G said...

From previous post comment section.

Wordsmith, I watched the claymation video with R. Lee Ermey's voice over from FMJ. I'm with one of the commenter's there. I shouldn't watch those kind of videos when I'm eating something. I almost choked laughing so hard.

Thanks Tom for your kind comments. I enjoy having someone as talented as you are at writing coming here.

Marie, I hope we can get together again sometime this year. I had a wonderful experience meeting you in Washington DC last March.

Dian, you and I will never agree in political matters, that's OK, I have managed to be and stay friends with another person from Oregon for 32 years and we differ in our opinions about politics quite significantly ;-)

To all my other blogger friends that stop by like DD2, Monica, Troll, Mike, dons_mind, Trekmedic, Gayle, Skye, and everyone I may have missed, Have a great New Year.

Federalist, I'm hoping we can put the lid back on the wacko conspiracy box for another four years when some idiot will take the lid off of it again. The difference between my dislike for liberal ideas and conspiracy wackos is that many liberals can actually be relevant and likable.

The Federalist said...

Happy New Year J_G,

I hope to be considered as one who has liberal ideas. I have never bought into the internal conspiracy idea. I have found some things interesting but at this point, until I see facts or admissions of guilt, remain merely coincidental.

Although I disagree with you categorically on this administration and Iraq, I respect your conservative ideas.

Marie's Two Cents said...

Jenn,

Marie, I hope we can get together again sometime this year. I had a wonderful experience meeting you in Washington DC last March.




Me too Jenn.

Maybe there will be some other event we will meet up at again.

Hope So :-)

MonicaR said...

Thank you Jennifer and we wish you the best of the new year to you!

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Happy New Year! Glad you didn't choke on a pretzel!

Gayle said...

Jennifer, I absolutely love the music! HAPPY BELATED NEW YEAR to you, too! :)

patterns of ink said...

Happy New Year to you, too.
Love the music.
I came by to know what to think of what is going on in the Republican Race. These are important days ahead. I'm looking forward to watching tonight's debate to see if someone emerges as a good, electable choice... though it looks like a tough election year for us.