Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Moderate's Temporary Victory

As history would have it, the moderate, middle of the road, wishy-washy crowd have won a temporary victory getting their man John McCain nominated to run for President in the fall. I think they took advantage of the situation with the democrat's constant barrage of retreat and defeat on the conservatives holding the line over the war in Iraq. The group that call themselves the Republican Mainstreet Partnership have been undermining conservative principles since it's inception. This group of moderate Republicans began just after we won control of Congress in the 1994 "Republican Revolution". Here's a statement from the "History" section of their moderate website:

The November 1994 mid-term elections were commonly referred to as the "Republican Revolution." Given the great gains made by Republicans in the U.S. House of Representatives and the Senate, a group of moderate House Republicans began informal meetings to discuss ways to further a centrist, pragmatic Republican agenda -- one that could accommodate bipartisan legislative results. At that time, there was great concern that a dramatic shift to the right was quickly approaching, given the new congressional leadership.

Given that in the prior fifty years the leftist democrats controlled the US Congress, what did these moderates believe when they said "At that time, there was great concern that a dramatic shift to the right was quickly approaching" Were they worried they would have to give up their minority status and have to stand up and lead? Did they worry they wouldn't be told by their democrat leadership what bill they could put their names on? Before the Republican Revolution of 1994 led by Newt Gingrich these same "Mainstreet Partners" were satisfied being back benchers and losers and they didn't know how to handle success. They believed then as they do now that they must capitulate and let democrat leftists have their way in order to get along.

It has been said that you can make a judgment of a person's character and politics by the enemies they have and not just by the friends they keep. Well the moderates strive to have no enemies and everyone is their friend because they take no stand and have no core principles other than "can't we all just get along". Not in politics baby, its winner takes all and that'll never change.

Here's a list of the current membership of the wishy-washy moderates club that call themselves the Republican Mainstreet Partnership.

From the United States Senate:

Sen. John McCain, Arizona
Sen. Norm Coleman, Minnesota
Sen. Susan Collins, Maine
Sen. Gordon Smith, Oregon
Sen. Olympia Snowe, Maine
Sen. Arlen Fencesitter, Pennsylvania


From the US House of Representatives
:

Rep. Judy Biggert, Illinois <>Rep. Phil English, Pennsylvania
Rep. Brian Bilbray, California <> Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen, NJ
Rep. Jim Gerlach, Pennsylvania <> Rep. Wayne Gilchrest, Maryland
Rep. David Hobson, Ohio <> Rep. Timothy Johnson, Illinois
Rep. Mark Kirk, Illinois <> Rep. John R. Kuhl, New York
Rep. Ray LaHood, Illinois <> Rep. Steven LaTourette, Ohio
Rep. Jerry Lewis, California <> Rep. Frank LoBiondo, New Jersey
Rep. Jim McCrery, Louisiana <> Rep. Thomas Petri, Wisconsin
Rep. Todd Platts, Pennsylvania <> Rep. Jon Porter, Nevada
Rep. Deborah Pryce, Ohio <> Rep. Jim Ramstad, Minnesota
Rep. Ralph Regula, Ohio <> Rep. Jim Saxton, New Jersey
Rep. Christopher Shays, CT <> Rep. Michael Turner, Ohio
Rep. Fred Upton, Michigan <> Rep. Greg Walden, Oregon
Rep. James Walsh, New York <> Rep. Jerry Weller, Illinois
Rep. Heather Wilson,New Mexico <> Rep. Mary Bono, California
Rep. Ginny Brown-Waite,Florida <> Rep. Ken Calvert, California
Rep. Dave Camp, Michigan <> Rep. Shelley Moore Capito,WV
Rep. Michael Castle, Delaware <> Rep. Thomas Davis, III, Virginia
Rep. Charlie Dent,Pennsylvania <> Rep. David Dreier, California
Rep. Vernon Ehlers, Michigan <> Rep. Jo Ann Emerson, Missouri


The Governors:

Gov. Linda Lingle, Hawaii
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, California

23 comments:

Beth said...

People who deliberately join a group dedicated to not taking a stand are not fit to hold leadership positions in our country.

J_G said...

Beth, I am so sick of being told that I have to accept moderate wishy-washy crap in order to get along. The wishy-washies make me so mad. Here in PA I'm surrounded by vacuous non conservatives Republican and it makes me sick to my stomach. I've been fighting it for many years now and I'm supposed to give in now because some moderate moron is now our nominee. Not on your life.

Beth said...

Amen to that!

I am going to add your blog to my list.

BB-Idaho said...

"Not in politics baby, its winner takes all and that'll never change.
..well, THAT explains why the last
seven years have been totally screwed up...

Marie's Two Cents said...

I dont condsider the last sever years totally screwed up.

President Bush has done an excellent job.

We havent been attacked and that's no accident.

National Security and the GWOT are my top priorities and the home front will all just fall in place.

I am pretty darn sure we can make our voices be known and keep MCcain under control.

Marie's Two Cents said...

All I know is if the sound of President-Elect "Obama" Or President-Elect "Clinton" sounds real good to yall the day after election day, by all means write in a candidate, vote for someone that has no chance of winning, or just stay home.

Because that's exactly what's going to happen!

BB-Idaho said...

Good luck keeping McCain under control, Marie. The Viet Cong sure couldn't!

Marie's Two Cents said...

BB,

This is what 40 years later?

And do you have anyone else in mind to vote for? If so I would love to hear it.

I mean someone that could actually win?

J_G said...

I too do not think the last seven years to be very screwed up except for having to listen to the anti war anti American traitors, that was pretty screwed up.

Marie, at this point, as I posted over at Mike's and other places. The only option for conservatives is get out in great enough numbers to get a more conservative Congress. You can certainly vote for McCain, that's your choice. What I'm trying to do is to convince conservatives that are pissed off at the party to not sit home and to forget about McCain and go out and vote, vote for the most conservative Congressional representative on the ticket. We will need the most conservative Congress we can get to counter any of the Presidential candidates that are now on the ticket.

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Like Marie,

the War and SCOTUS trumps most issues for me. I trust him more than I trust Hillary or Obama.

And I still see quite a bit of the conservative rancor as unreasonable. We're all working hard to lose this election, as far as I see it at the moment.

concerned citizen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
handmaiden said...

Apparently, sanity, logic & reason i.e. "moderation" has a place in the republican party. thank goodness!

J_G said...

That says it all for me Dian. You make my point perfectly to my fellow republicans. Thanks.

J_G said...

Word, the minute the moderates and the media chose our candidate the election was already lost without a single conservative saying or doing a thing. I could say nothing about it for the rest of the year and McCain will still lose in November

Marie's Two Cents said...

Hell I wanted Fred Thompson and look what happened there! Then I went for Mitt Romney and that backfired, and all we are stuck with is McCain.

It's not that I want to vote for McCain it's just that I'll be damned if I let a Liberal win!

I will vote the party even if I dont like the candidate much.

I refuse to give into the Liberals! Even if that means voting for the last choice I would have ever wanted to make!

The sound of President Obama or Clinton while we are at war is quite a sickening thought.

Like Word,

The War and SCOTUS are my primary concerns also.

And I'll be damned if my son has to answer to "President Obama"

J_G said...

I understand your position Marie. You vote for whoever best represents how you think. I've always said that and I mean it. I've been at this politics for a long time and I left for a while because you get burned out by it. Right now I pray that everything will turnout for the best for you brave son. I've said many prayers for you and your family because I really care. President Obama isn't going to happen no matter what the current media situation is.

McCain might do well if he chooses Condi Rice as VP and then keel over the day before the election. I'm investing my time in getting a more conservative Congress though because they will be needed.

Marie's Two Cents said...

Jenn,

Thank You.

That is my main concern is my son.

Oh trust me McCain will have to earn my vote, No Amnesty, The Fence get's built, GITMO Stay's, And so does Waterboarding.

I can understand where McCain is coming from being a POW himself, but we are in a different kind of war now.

And we have to get the information we need to secure this Country.

Obama and Hillary will just let all that slip away.

Dont think for one minute that McCain isnt going to have to work or change his positions to get my vote!

But he is all we have left, so we have to make it hard on him and make him reach out to us. Or Me I guess.

If there was a way to keep President Bush in there for another 4 years by GOD I would throw in with that, but there isnt, so we dont have much of a choice!

BB-Idaho said...

Well Marie, regarding "And do you have anyone else in mind to vote for? If so I would love to hear it." If you want advice from a libtard moonbat, I'm thinking, based upon your predilections, that
VP Cheney would be a candidate you could support?

Marie's Two Cents said...

BB,

That didnt answer my question.

I was asking if there was another (I should have stated) "Republican" candidate to vote for I would love to hear it.

Why? Are you a Libtard Moonbat? lol

Last time I checked, The Veep was'nt running!

BB-Idaho said...

Marie, I've been called any number of things, and on a conservative blog I am considered a libtard moonbat. So, yeah I'll answer to that. My suggestion of Cheney was that your previous comments and positions sounded like he would be
a good candidate for you. And, true, he has no intention of running. And I agree, for the
very conservative voter, the choices don't look too hot. Keep in mind though, there's a lot of time and a lot of weird stuff can happen in an election year...

Marie's Two Cents said...

Well BB,

I had no idea you were a Libtard! lol

I would'nt have called you that anyway. I dont mind having conversations with Libby's that arent "Out There".

I dont know how we managed to get ourselves in this mess. And one day I think "Well we can work with this" and the next day I'm like "What happened here?"

Today I'm in one of those "What happened hear"? "moments" just looking at what we have left and it's truly dpressing, but then again on the other hand I think we can make this work, then I think Pfft.

I am one messed up Conservative at the moment.

patterns of ink said...

I needed a dose of good conservative thinking tonight.
I'm gradually getting back in circulation after some difficult weeks in my life. I am still amazed by this thing called blogging and how it connects otherwise disconnected people. If you email Suzie Q, tell her I said hello.

J_G said...

Welcome back Tom. I hope you had a good trip. I read about your Mother at your blog. You have my deepest heartfelt sympathy. It wasn't that long ago my Mother went on and I miss her a lot.

I will let Susie know you were asking about her and I will send her your greetings. She mails me something every so often just to let me know she's doing OK and she is. I'll stop by your blog later in the week. Nice to hear from you Tom.