Sunday, August 10, 2008

Saying Thank You

This afternoon a good friend sent me an email with a link to a website that I just had to share with all my friends and others that visit here. This website explains a small but important way to thank those that serve this great nation when you come across them in your travels. I understand the concept because many times I have seen a young Marine, Soldier or Sailor in stores or malls and I have no problem going up to them and just saying Thank you. Sometimes they feel a little embarrassed that so much attention is being paid to them unexpectedly. This simple gesture alleviates that by just letting them know you recognize them and are thanking them without the awkwardness that sometimes occurs. It's more like a civilian salute from the heart. I hope this catches on because our men and women need to know that we love them and support them and appreciate the great job they do for us. Thanks for sending this to me Wayne.

Here is the link to the website to answer any questions you may have.
The Gratitude Campaign

5 comments:

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

jennifer,

I saw this a while back. The sentiment behind it is great, but...lol...I'd rather just go up and say "thank you" than do that salute.

I know it's neither hokey nor contrived, yet I still can't get over the "secret handshake" type of feeling regarding it. I'm sure some soldiers- who didn't receive the "memo"- would probably be confused, too. lol.

J_G said...

Word, I have gone up to soldiers to say thank you and sometimes it is an awkward thing. You just have gauge it for yourself and this gives you another option to just say Thank you. Whatever you do to make our men and women feel appreciated is OK with me.

Another point is; it's too bad that we have to remind people to thank the troops anyway, it should be a common everyday thing that our troops feel appreciated. The leftists and their minions in the press have brow beaten far too many mind numb robots to hate Bush and the mission of our troops. Some people might even feel afraid if they were seen thanking one of people because of groups like move on.org and code pink and the daily kos kooks.

It's a shame that we must remind people to do the right thing by thanking our men and women in uniform. I know you know what the right thing to do is Word. This post was not aimed at people such as yourself.

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

I understand, Jennifer. If it makes soldiers feel appreciated and honored, then more power to the gesture gaining mainstream momentum.

Gayle said...

I think whatever one feels comfortable doing is a good thing as long as they do it. Personally, I say "Thank You." But I'm comfortable around the military having lived among them for 20 years as an Army wife. :)

My husband served in Vietnam and didn't get this sort of welcome when he came home. Both he and I are so grateful that people are not repeating the shame of the Vietnam era. Most people anyway. We detest those who are trying to recreate it and absolutely despise Code Pink!

J_G said...

Hi Gayle, I too have no problem saying thank you but there are those that are still uncomfortable on what to do when they come face to face with our guys. It's mostly because of all the leftist negative press that has been transmitted about our people and our country over the last years.

This gesture is a good first step but I think the "wishy washy, moderate, don't want to get involved" people are coming around and the code pinks and move on.org types will be relegated to shouting among themselves because people are tired of hearing their anti American BS